Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Repainted My Paint Brush


I use this brush to start almost every landscape I paint. It's called a hake brush and it's used to lay down large areas of color. It sees a lot of water and over the years that has caused the wood in the handle to expand and contract which has split the paint and caused it to flake off. I haven't soaked it in water, stored it bristles up or left the handle wet, but occasionally the handle does get wet though normal use.


I should have done this years ago, but I finally decided to repaint the part of the handle where the damage is. Hopefully this will help. It can't hurt.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all know that paint is a good protector to any surface and furniture, so I guess it will work out fine with paint brushes. How’s the brush now? Well, I hope the repainting did well in preserving your paint brush. :]

    - Alphonse Daigle

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far the brush has been okay. I think the biggest problem is that the wood has shrunken a little bit so water can get in over the top of the ferrule. I probably need to add some type of weather sealant and paint it again to get really good protection. This type of brush gets a lot of water exposure so I'm sure I'll only be able to fight the damage for so long. Thanks for visiting my blog. You can find more up to date information on my artwork on my facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/BFJStudio.

    ReplyDelete